Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Moths ate my Rolling Stones Shirt

Its about that time of year, when students are looking for summer jobs. I came across a story the other day called ‘First Jobs of the Rich and Famous’. Did you know that Bill Murray used to sell chestnuts outside a grocery store? Robin Williams was a street mime (not too hard to believe), Jerry Seinfeld sold light bulbs over the phone….Madonna worked behind the counter at Dunkin’ Donuts….Jennifer Aniston was a waitress…Demi Moore worked at a debt collection agency…and David Lee Roth emptied bedpans as a hospital orderly. So, there you go! Good luck with that summer job, and remember, David Lee Roth emptied bedpans.

I’m still needing some help with my vole problem. Once the snow melted off my front lawn, I was quite surprised to find little ‘hills of dirt’ scattered everywhere. If you can picture little brown ski hills about six to eight inches high, that’s what I have all over my lawn. I did some research and it looks like I have an entire vole network under my lawn, but I don’t know how to get rid of them. Naturally I don’t want the voles to be hurt in any way. I just want them to find somewhere else to built their transit system. Maybe if I blast Michael Bolton’s new CD across the yard, that’ll do it.

I wish Manhatten was only a short drive away! Because I would definitely get down there this week, for the Elton John clothing sale! Elton John has set up shop at Rockefeller Centre and he’s selling 10,000 pieces of his own clothing to raise money for his Aids Foundation. There’s everything from bright orange blazers to Adidas track suits and ball caps, prices are anywhere from $10.00 to $10,000! I think it would be super cool to walk around in a lime green sweater with matching boa that once belonged to Elton John.

Crocuses? Croci? Which one is correct? Those little purple flowers that are coming up right now. It seems I get into this debate every year at this time. What’s the plural of crocus? Usually, before I get the right answer, the crocuses, or croci, are gone.

Bob’s ‘Deal or No Deal’ has started, with the chance for someone to win $10,000 each morning on Bob FM. I can’t believe how nervous I get when we play this game, not only because there’s big money on the line, but you never know how far someone is willing to go. On the tv show, Deal or No Deal, the audience is always shouting ‘NO DEAL”! Of course they’re going to shout “NO DEAL”, they have nothing to lose! On our radio version, the contestant has to decide for themselves whether they want to accept the banker’s deal or chance it all for $10,000. Anyone can play, but you have to register first on this website. Its crazy fun, but I have to warn you, a really good anti-perspirant is very much required.

In the department of ‘things that make you shake your head’… About a month ago, I bought a 50 pound bag of sunflower seed for my birdfeeder. When I opened the bag, a bunch of small moths flew out into my living room, my bedroom, some landed on the bathroom mirror, others headed for the tv room in the basement. I recognized these moths as clothes-eating moths. So, here we are, a month later, and the moths seem to have finally disappeared. The other day, I was going to a party and I thought I’d wear my favourite shirt. A green shirt that I was given to wear by the wardrobe lady at last summer’s Rolling Stones video shoot (another story altogether). I pulled it out of the closet and ….’lo and behold’….now I knew what happened to all those moths!! They had gorged themselves on my Rolling Stones shirt. I checked every other piece of clothing I own, and nothing. No holes, no damage. The moths had just eaten one shirt. My favourite shirt. How did they know?! Why couldn’t the moths have eaten my shiny pink shirt with the big lapel?