Thursday, August 31, 2006

Snakes Not on A Plane!

Have you entered BOB FM’s ‘Top Dog Contest’? In conjunction with the Iams Wiggle Waggle Walkathon for the Humane Society, coming up Sunday Sept 10th at the Arboretum, we are going to crown ‘Ottawa’s Top Dog’!!! Send your entry to this website! Tell us why your dog deserves to be ‘head of the pack’ at the Wiggle Waggle! You could win 4 tickets to ‘Barney’, 2 tickets to the Black Eyed Peas, AND grooming service from the ‘Spaw Mobile Grooming Salon’!
Yours truly will be one of the judges, along with Laureen Harper, yes, ‘that’ Laureen Harper! I will be taking the Top Dog entries to 24 Sussex Drive, where we will pour over them and choose a winner! Laureen Harper has always been a huge Humane Society supporter, and fosters cats and kittens regularly! Gotta love it!

I had a pretty cool experience this week at ‘Little Ray’s Reptiles’ on Bank Street South. It was my first time at Little Ray’s, and I honestly had no idea it was such a huge reptile zoo! Thank you to my friend Karen Genge for the tour….she volunteers at Little Rays and not only helps to clean out the snake tanks and the frog tanks and the turtle tanks, she is also a ‘mom’ to a hognose snake and a carpet python! I’ve always had a love of snakes, which goes back to my childhood. My family had rented a cottage on Mississippi Lake near Carleton Place and when I was a kid, I found a garter snake nest. I put the tiny snakes into a bucket, I think there were about 80 snakes, and took them back to the cottage where my Mom shrieked and told me to keep them outside. That night, it was quite chilly so I felt sorry for the 80 baby garter snakes and brought them into my bedroom. The next morning I awoke to my Mom screaming. There were garter snakes everywhere. Climbing the drapes, slithering on the floor, one ended up somehow in the lettuce in the fridge. But the best visual of all, was the garter snake that sat on the top of the tv, its face dangling down and quite fascinated with ‘The Price is Right’ starring Bob Barker. The moral of this story: I can’t believe that Bob Barker is STILL doing the ‘Price Is Right’!!!

I guess it was bound to happen. The showbiz tabloids struck Bruce Springsteen. Claiming his marriage to Patti Scialfa was over, and that he was dating a 9/11 widow. As soon as I heard the story, I refused to believe it! Bruce Springsteen is my hero!!! He’s honest! He has integrity! He’s one of the good ones! Thank goodness, today, Bruce Springsteen released a statement saying that his marriage is as strong as ever, and that the recent rumours are ugly and untrue. Check out Bruce’s comments for yourself at www.brucespringsteen.net.
Phew!!!

Its that time of year!! How many times have you heard recently: ‘I can’t believe how fast summer went by’!!! Its almost Labour Day and once again, I have a huge list of things I meant to do this summer…but never got around to. I never learned how to wind-surf. I didn’t go to any form of water park. I never had a garage sale. Didn’t get around to buying one of those bug zappers that looks like a tennis racquet. But I did run through the sprinker a couple of times.
And I did name the frog that lives in my garden. He’s my Tony.

Have you been watching ‘Prison Break’? I admit that I had to bail out on ‘24’ last season, because while I know that you have to suspend belief to enjoy the show, I just couldn’t believe the incredible story lines. And now it looks like ‘Prison Break’ is taking a page from ‘24’. I half expect that, just before getting caught by the law, Michael Scofield and friends will be rescued by a flying pteradactyl.

Just when I thought TV can’t get much worse, I just watched ‘Celebrity Duets’, with Xena Warrior Princess singing with Michael Bolton. Right now the C-Pac channel doesn’t seem so bad.