Sunday, June 15, 2008

BOB FM wins an Award!

Yesterday was a very cool day! I’ve always been proud of the fact that 939 Bob FM is the ‘world’s only pet friendly radio station’, and lo and behold, along comes a very special honour from the Ottawa Humane Society. ‘Media Award for 2008’! We are beaming from ear to ear. Its not very often that an occasion calls for me to actually brush the dog and cat hair off my clothes!
-------------
I was paddling in my kayak today and one of the things I love about kayaking, is how ‘quiet’ you can be. In fact, its one of the few times that I am quiet. The benefit of being quiet while on the water, is that wildlife isn’t as scared of you as …say, you were in a jet ski. As I paddled along a shoreline I came upon a blue heron that had just caught a fish. A really big fish. Too big for that skinny throat, I thought. Sure enough, the heron tossed the fish into the air, grabbed it and proceeded to swallow it. But then, the fish got stuck. It appeared to be lodged in the heron’s throat. I paddled quickly to the scene, my mind racing, it was obvious that I needed to give this great blue heron the ‘heimlich manouevre’. Would he stand still and allow me to do it? How much pressure would I need to put on his rib cage? Where is a heron’s rib cage? Was there a place to tie up my kayak? So many questions, so little time! I raced towards the huge bird, the bird who’s life I was about to save. But suddenly the great blue heron opened its mouth, burped, and swallowed the entire fish. Good thing.

I have absolutely no experience in administering Heimlich manouevres on great blue herons.


The Sparks Street Mall International Chicken and Rib Cook-off starts on Wednesday and continues til Sunday! This is a huge event with competitors from all over North America vying for the right to say ‘their chicken and ribs are the best’! This is the smokiest, tastiest, stick-to-your ribs bbq fare and the portions are big so bring your big appetite! On Wednesday night, JR, Milky and yours truly will be ‘cook-off judges’! I’m looking forward to it, although I’m not much of a judge when it comes to food. I like almost everything, except jello salads in a mold, with various vegetables trapped inside the jello. You see these things at bridal showers and baby showers. Yeccch.
Anway, hope to see you on the Sparks Street Mall!!