Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Do I Look Fat in This?


Why do cats like to sit in bags? Why do they like to go inside boxes? Why do they run really fast across a room then jump up on a table then dive off and land on the dog's head? This is my cat named 'Kitty', who clearly has a much better imagination than I do. Moments after this picture was taken, Kitty batted a pen cap around the entire house. Then he went to sleep, as he had fulfilled his entire 'to do' list for the day.
-
Tomorrow is the start of Lent, which is always a big topic around the BOB studio. Because you are supposed to give up something that you LOVE for 40 days. Last year, JR and I had a Lent-Off. I was to give up chocolate for 40 days, he would give up beer for 40 days. JR lasted 3 days. I, however, went the entire 40 days without one bite of chocolate. It was incredibly hard but I did it!
This year, I can't possibly do the 'chocolate sacrifice' again, as I am now the owner of a chocolate fountain. But I will give up SOMETHING. So far, the possibilities are: Chunky soup, peanut butter, and pogos. I love those 3 things more than anything. Or maybe I'll give up one of my day-time tv shows. I could probably use a 40-day break from Judge Judy.
-
The Humane Society Fur Ball is coming up soon, March 28th at the National Gallery of Canada. This is truly a spectacular event. The closest we get to a glitzy Hollywood party, right here in town, a night out for all the movers and shakers in Ottawa. And I will be there too. This year's theme is 'Casablanca', with the Gallery decorated a la 'Rick's Cafe' from the 1940's. The wonderful Laureen Harper will once again be the honourary chair, and there will be some very unique auction items. One of my favourite highlights from last year: dogs from the 'Brightening Lives' Program at the Humane Society strolled through the Gallery after dinner, to meet all the guests. It didn't matter that people were wearing their finest gowns and tuxes, these dogs were hugged beyond belief. It may be the first event of this level of prestige where the guests arrived back home covered in dog hair, by their own choice! The Brightening Lives dogs are ambassadors for the society, visiting schools and the elderly to encourage the wonderful relationship we can all have with animals.
For Fur Ball tickets and information, go to www.ottawahumane.ca
Oh yeah...and...one more thing. Here's the 2009 Fur Ball Menu!
White Albacore Tuna Loin
Canadian Sturgeon Caviar, Miso Emulsion

East Coast Lobster & Mascarpone Risotto
Lobster Cognac Cappuccino

Lightly Smoked Chateaubriand
Dill Buttered Potato & Golden Beet, Horseradish Jus

Valrhona Chocolate TerrineVanilla Bean Crème Anglaise