Sunday, December 13, 2009

Olympic Torch Comes to Ottawa!











I've always been a proud Canadian but yesterday as I stood outside in a few strategic locations to steal some glimpses of Olympic torchbearers, I had tears in my eyes. Ok a couple of times it was because of the wind. But, kidding aside, it was a beautiful day in the nation's capital and something very special was taking place....the Olympic torch was symbolically winding its way from street to street, clutched in the hands of proud Canadians who deserved their moment. There were a handful of us who tucked in next to the bridge over the waterfalls on Sussex Drive around 11:30 am, to catch our first glimpse of the flame. In hind-sight, not exactly the best spot for photos, as I tried to shield my camera from icy spray from the waterfalls- but it was all worth it when a torchbearer came into view. Dressed head to toe in an official 2010 Olympics suit, she trotted past with the torch held high, wearing a smile bright enough to challenge the flame. I didn't know her name. But I decided to follow, and down Sussex Drive I went, where the crowds were large and giddy with excitement. Outside 24 Sussex (gee, somehow I am now in front of the Prime Minister's house) beyond the crowd I saw a warming scene: one torch igniting another- it was all I could see- until the next torchbearer burst from the group, and it was none other than Carolyn Waldo, three time Olympian and CTV Ottawa sportscaster. She proudly carried the torch to the Governor General's residence, where a wall of photographers awaited. I was planning to go home, actually start on my Christmas decorating, baking, etc. But I wanted more!! More Olympic memories!
So I drove over to City Hall where crowds were gathering for a torch-receiving reception. I had a nice chat with Tim and Cindy McKee's young daughter Natalie, who was chosen as one of the torchbearers. Tim is somehow related to Canada's sweetheart, gold medal figure skater Barbara Ann Scott, and was quite thrilled to meet her and get a photo. Ontario MPP Jim Watson (always up for a party!) grabbed my camera so I could get a photo with Barbara Ann Scott and Minister of Sport Gary Lunn. It was over quickly so I don't think they knew what hit them. I'll add this photo to my ever-growing collection called 'me and people who don't know why I am standing next to them'. With Max Keeping as MC, the outdoor ceremony began with the arrival of the torch- carried by young Melissa Brunet, Ottawa's Citizen of the Year. Former Olympians were on hand, including Sue Holloway, Liz Manley, and Greg Joy- and several politicans cheered on the crowd- but the biggest cheer was reserved for the raising of the 2010 Olympics flag, followed by 'Oh Canada'. Canadian rugby team member Al Charron proudly took the torch from City Hall to continue the relay, which would later culminate at Parliament Hill with Joe Juneau as the final torchbearer. An amazing day!