Thursday, July 07, 2005

Tough to Stay Outta the Trees

Sandy’s Blog
July 7, 2005


It looks like Ottawa Senators hockey is returning to the Nation’s Capital! Did you miss it? I know I did. While CBC TV made a valiant attempt to entertain us every Saturday night with movies like ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ introduced by Ron McLean, it just wasn’t the same. This past year I missed going to the games. I even missed Spartacat and his Master Blaster. Nothing like enjoying a turkey sub that just travelled seventy feet through the air. Welcome back, Wade Redden, Mike Fisher, and Alfie. And welcome, Domenic Hasek. Its a heck of a lot better having you on our side. This fall I will look forward to being part of the west-bound Queensway convoy to the Corel Centre, making that long frigid walk through the parking lot, buying $11.00 beers, running into everyone I know on the Corel Centre concourse, and, oh yeah, watching a great hockey game. Even the Leafs fans will not bug me this year. Well, maybe not that last one.

This week I spent an entire afternoon in the trees. Thank you to the Suderman brothers, owners of Camp Fortune, for an incredible experience at ‘Aerial Adventure’. The best way to describe ‘Aerial Adventure’, is to call it an obstacle course way high up in the trees. You are strapped into a harness and you are 100 percent safe, a concept you sometimes forget when you are straddling suspension bridges, diving off tree-top platforms, swinging on giant ropes and, in my case, dangling helplessly on occasion. The staff is always there to help you if you get caught in a ‘predicament’, as I did at the snowboarding section. My excitement at the thought of snowboarding from tree-top to tree-top turned into a fairly embarrassing moment, the snowboard sailed to the tree without me, leaving me dangling like a pair of underwear on a clothes-line. Camp Fortune’s ‘Aerial Experience’ ranges from exhilarating to scary to hysterical to funny, and I can’t wait to do it again. For info, check out www.campfortune.com. Do it with your spouse and you will trust them forever.

For about a month, I’ve been playing a little game with gas stations. When the gas is up around 95 cents, I just get a little bit of gas, thinking it will be much lower the next day. The next day, its around 96 cents. So I do the same thing. I have been in denial, driving around on fumes, waiting and praying for the gas to come down. This concept I also apply to my gas lawn mower and my 9.9 hp outboard boat motor. Maybe thats why my lawn is only half cut and I can only go for a two minute boat ride. But I’m sure one of these days, the gas will return to 59 cents a litre. It will happen, I’m sure of it. This gas stuff reminds me of a boyfriend I had a long time ago, who used to charge me the gas money to pick me up for a date. Our dates always started with me handing him two bucks for gas. If I was still with him, each date would probably run me about thirty bucks. Then again, if I was still with this guy, I’d have a lot greater problems than paying for gas! Sheesh