Monday, December 05, 2005

Say....Do you Work Here Often?

I bought my husband a Christmas present the other day, and I still haven’t given it to him! This is a record for me. Traditionally, if I find the perfect Christmas gift for my husband, it doesn’t matter if its November 14th or December 5th, I give it to him that night, the minute he gets home from work. Because I can’t wait for anything that has the potential of being good. Part of the reason that I have yet to give this gift to my better half, is because I’ve hidden it so well, I don’t know where it is. Too bad its not a gift of food, because my dogs would definitely have found it by now.

Its office Christmas party season! Don’t you just love stories about office Christmas parties? If you have any you’d like to share, please e-mail me back and I’ll post them here. Who doesn’t love a good office Christmas party story ….like the one that involved Todd in accounting and Michelle from marketing, some mistle-toe, too much rum and egg nog, and a photocopy machine.

Congratulations to everyone who participated in the 580 CFRA Christmas Cheer Broadcast on the weekend, and to everyone who donated for a total of $127,000 –plus to provide needy families with holiday food hampers. JR and I were happy to be part of CFRA’s 55th annual Christmas Cheer broadcast. Growing up in Ottawa, this has been a tradition that I look forward to each year. I apologize to all the guests who shared my chair throughout the day, and I hope my coffee spill dried up eventually.

It seems these days that you can’t pick up a national newspaper without reading some columnist’s opinion about our beloved Ottawa Senators. More and more writers are daring to say that this year’s Ottawa Senators are perhaps the finest hockey team of all time. That includes any team that’s ever played in the NHL, and any team that’s ever played in the Olympics. Wow. I hope this doesn’t jinx anything. I’m a little leary about big wide sweeping statements like the ones these columnists are making…’Best hockey team ever assembled’…because I’m afraid of the ‘jinx factor’. That being said, I can’t wait for the Stanley Cup parade down Bank Street. Can you buy ticker tape on e-Bay? Oops. I take that back. Can I take that back?

Thank you to the hundreds of people who did the same thing I did. We all got completely, 100 percent, sucked in by an internet hoax. It came to me by e-mail last week, a litter of golden retriever puppies who needed homes right away – OR ELSE! I responded to the email right away, gave my phone number, said I would come over and get the puppies right now, blah blah……only to find out, this was a hoax that has traveled through cyberspace since the fall of 2002! My sincere thanks to everyone who called the ‘Morning After on Bob FM’ to tell me that they had responded to this email too…even forwarding it to every animal lover they knew. Thank goodness I’m not the only one who once believed a friend who told me ‘you know, the word ‘gullible’ is NOT in the dictionary!