Sunday, March 05, 2006

Fashion takes my breath away

Looks like I’ll have to put away my black lipstick and my black nail polish and my white face powder, and save it for another time. The Nine Inch Nails concert has been post-poned. Apparently lead singer Trent Reznor isn’t feeling well, word is its nothing serious, touch of the flu, but he needs some time off to get better. Sources said that Trent Reznor was looking quite pale.

Had a great day of skiing at Edelweiss! I found myself sharing a run with a skiing raccoon. Actually, the raccoon was snow-boarding. Every time I go skiing, I’m inspired by the young children, 4 and 5 years old, that ski circles around me. They don’t know it, but they always encourage me to become as fearless as they are. This time, I was given a shot of courage by a snow-boarding raccoon. If that raccoon could fly down those steep runs, so could I! But of course, I fell flat on my back. The last thing I saw was the raccoon’s striped tail disappearing down the hill. Just as well. The last thing I needed was a raccoon helping me back on my feet. I prefer help from my usual good skiing buddies, the four and five year olds.

A rather embarrassing thing happened to me the other day. James Jefferson and Frank Sukhoo are two fabulous local fashion designers, who have a design boutique called Jefferson Sukhoo on Dalhousie Street. James and Frank kindly offered to loan me a dress for the upcoming Humane Society Fur Ball. They chose a gorgeous black gown for me, and away I went into the change room to try it on. At first I tried to ‘step into’ the gown, but that didn’t work. Too tight. So then I tried to pull the gown over my head. That’s when it happened. I got completely stuck. My arms were pointed straight up into the air, the gown was bunched up around my head and shoulders, my jeans were crumpled down at my ankles and I couldn’t move. Not only was I afraid I might rip the dress, I was having trouble breathing. I wondered if I should allow myself to asphyxiate instead of going through the embarrassment of having to call out for help. With James and Frank busily chatting with customers in the boutique, I lost track of time, feeling like Houdini wrapped in an impossible straight-jacket, the difference being, Houdini made a living as an escape artist, and I, well, I am a radio announcer. Finally, a call from beyond. ‘Sandy’? Is everything ok in there’? ‘I’mmmmmm sssshhhtuck in the dr-e-e-ssss and I caannn’t (gasp!) breathe!
James asked permission to help me. ‘YEESSSS’! I was saved!!! Being the designer of the dress, he knew exactly how the zipper worked – how the sleeves worked – it was incredible!!! With my arms shot straight up, my head swathed in gown, my jeans at my ankles, James freed me from my elegant prison! Ok, maybe I’ve been watching too many spy movies lately. But at least the dress didn’t get ripped. And I am alive to tell the story. Best part of all, James and Frank are gonna make me something that I can put on all by myself!!! p.s. if you have any stories of a similar nature to share, please write to me. I’m sure this happens to people a lot………doesn’t it?