Friday, July 14, 2006

The Why, the What and the 'WHO'!!!

These are the dog days of summer! I don’t know where the term ‘dog days’ comes from, maybe it’s a description of the lazy dog just lying on the porch on a hot summer day……not much else to do….
At my house, dog days of summer means….’drinking out of the toilet’!!!!! Can anyone tell me why my dogs by-pass a perfectly cold fresh bowl of water, to lap it up out of the toilet bowl? Anyone?

The ‘WHO is coming to Ottawa!!! Wow, is that ever cool. It only happens once every 35 years. Of course, some may argue that its not ‘really’ The Who, given that there are only two original surviving members. And some may say that, well, at the age of 60-something, Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey are past their prime. And some may say that the top ticket price of $204.50 is w-a-a-y too much to pay to see The Who. Oh well. Fair enough. All I know is that I saw The Who once, and it was just a few years ago in Toronto, and it was an absolutely fantastic show. One of the best concerts I’ve ever seen. I still have the ticket stub. I paid a paltry $115 for the ticket back then. Wow….it seems so long ago….remember the days when a concert ticket was just $115…….?

I love Bluesfest this year. I can’t get enough of it. I think they finally got it right, the configuration of the main stage, the bands are great, the beer is cold, everything works. Besides seeing the bigger acts, I highly recommend going to one of the smaller stages and catching some band that you’ve never heard of, but is always a pleasant surprise. I saw the Roadhammers the other night. Who? Exactly. Bluesfest exposes us to stuff we may never other-wise see. But one of the real success stories at this year’s Bluesfest, has to be, the ‘cupsuckers’ everywhere!!! Everywhere you look, there’s a cupsucker. A cupsucker is a long tube that attachs to every garbage can. You finish a beer, walk over to the cupsucker, slide your empty beer cup into it and bob’s your uncle. The recycle people love it, the grass is free of beer cups, and the people at Bluesfest have a new word that they love to say any chance they get. ‘cupsucker’! How fun is that.

My hairdresser is becoming famous. His name is Joseph and he owns Byblos on Bank Street in the Glebe. I called to make an appointment the other day, only to be told that Joseph was on the ‘set’ of a movie. As it turns out, Joseph is doing Tori Spelling’s hair for the next couple of weeks. If its true that people tell their hairdresser everything, I can’t wait to hear the stories. Tori Spelling must have lots of stuff to talk about.