Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Big Fun at Big Sky!!!

I first went to visit the Big Sky Animal Sanctuary in Kemptville this past spring, and I immediately wanted to be involved in a very special fundraiser, called ‘Woofstock’. Big Sky Animal Sanctuary is home to over 170 unwanted and abused animals, from dogs and cats to horses and donkeys. Please join us this Saturday, for a big ol’ field of fun – a fundraiser for the animals – with hay rides, pony rides, laser show, live bands including Austin Fire and The Bushpilots, crafts, games, dog agility shows, live professional wrestlers, truck pulls, food, prizes, and a raffle to win a pair of tickets to Eric Clapton. All this, and of course a chance to romp with all kinds of animals, including ‘Arnold’ the pig (I think he’s seven feet long!) Woofstock!!! Saturday July 8th, 11 am to 7 pm. For directions, click on the link on this website!

I thought of a joke today. Its not often that I think up a joke. But all jokes have to start somewhere. Ok, now that I’ve covered my butt, here goes. Why is World Cup Soccer just like being at a Star Trek convention?
Because no one ever scores.
(you’re groaning, right? I think I can hear groaning….)

I’ve now watched a few soccer, er, ‘football’ World Cup matches, and I have a better understanding of the game. Wow. It has to be the most emotional sport ever. The players seem to weep openly rather often. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that, in fact I find it rather refreshing. I think men should always be in touch with their sensitive side. I think it was Tom Hanks who once said, ‘there’s no crying in baseball’. But there sure is a lot of crying in World Cup soccer.

The 4th of July Coney Island hot dog eating contest results are in. The winner was a 130 pound Japanese fellow who ate 51 hot dogs in 12 minutes. Buns included. How’d you like to be the person who has to drive him home after the contest. I’d make sure he sat in the back seat with all the windows open.

So, the kids are outta school…..and the day camps are starting up! Its incredible how many camps kids have these days. Science camp, horseback camp, tennis camp, wood carving camp, clown camp, X-Box camp, Superhero camp. Ok I made up those last two. There actually is a clown camp. One of our young listeners called in to the radio show last week to tell us that he couldn’t wait for the start of ‘clown camp’. He’s going to learn how to be a clown. Hmm. I wonder if there’s also a ‘mime’ camp. You can bring an imaginary friend but they have to register at the same time that you do.

‘Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest’ opens this weekend and I gotta see it! I absolutely loved the first movie. Johnny Depp has admitted that he modeled his character, captain Jack Sparrow, after both Keith Richards and Pepe le Pew (did I spell that right?) the stinky skunk. The director of Pirates of the Caribbean wanted desperately to nab Keith Richards for the sequel, to play the part of Jack Sparrow’s father. But word is, that Keith couldn’t fit it into his schedule, but HAS promised a cameo for the ‘third’ installment of the Pirates franchise. I’m going to make a prediction: I’ll bet that Keith Richards IS going to be in the 2nd movie opening this Friday, and that right now its Hollywood’s best-kept secret. He’ll appear right at the end of the movie. If I’m wrong, so what. No harm done. I’m used to it.


I’ve seen it once before, but I just saw it again today, and its still amusing. For whatever reason, this sight always makes me chuckle: a ‘Smart Car’, at a red light, with a 24 of beer strapped to the roof. Now that’s Canadian!