Monday, June 26, 2006

Another Snapping Turtle Summer

I’m back from my vacation, which can only be described as a typically Canadian way to spend a week off. Stayed at the cottage, sat on the end of the dock, listened to the loons, took in beautiful sunsets, woke up to raccoons ripping through my garbage, and shook my fist at the jet skis. Aaahhhh….nothing like it.

My mama snapping turtle returned to lay eggs in my lawn once again. Exactly the same spot as last year. How did she know how to find the exact same spot? Last year I watched her lay the eggs, bury them with dirt, then use our stairs to get back to the water. Then I stared at the ground for the next two months hoping to see the baby turtles emerge from the ground. Of course, the one day that I wasn’t watching, they were born and escaped to the lake. This year, I will not spend my summer staring at a patch of dirt. I wish the turtles well, but I have to move on with my life.
Ok maybe I’ll stare at the ground once in a while.

Also while on holiday, I went to Toronto to audition for a new Canadian game show, called ‘Inside the Box’. There were 8 of us scheduled for the 4:15 audition. We were all asked tv trivia questions in rapid-fire fashion, and I did not answer one correctly. All other contestants answered their questions with conviction. I knew some of the answers for other contestants’ questions, but none that were directed at me. Like, ‘name all 3 kids on Home Improvement’. Yikes. Don’t know. ‘What show was a spin-off from Knots Landing’. Yikes. No idea. I got so desperate to answer a question correctly, that I shouted out the answer to someone else’s question. ‘What was the name of the dog on ‘Mad About You’? ‘MURRAY’ I shouted, not caring that it wasn’t my turn. Anyway, lo and behold, all 8 of us were told that we made the cut!!! I guess they didn’t have the heart to tell me that I was the only one being eliminated. Barring unforeseen circumstances, like, they do change their mind about me, I will be heading back to Toronto to shoot an episode of ‘Inside the Box’ for the Tvtropolis network. I hope I get lots of questions about ‘Cheers’ and ‘The Weather Network’.

Canada Day is just a few days away and there’s no better place to celebrate than right here in Ottawa. This year I’m hoping to do the same thing as thousands and thousands of Canadians: walk up and down Wellington Street. I usually try to get a good spot on Parliament Hill, where the big show takes place, but I’m usually too late so I park 20 blocks away then wander up and down Wellington Street with the other wave of people who also arrived too late. Then I buy a bottle of water from a street vendor for six dollars. This year, Colin James is playing the Hill on Canada Day, so it would be a good idea to get there early. And bring your own bottle of water!