Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Live Bands for Breakfast

Blue Rodeo is coming to our own backyard! This Friday, Blue Rodeo puts on a live outdoor concert right here in the Byward Market, on York Street, during the breakfast hour! How cool is that. Blue Rodeo will be, like, just one street over from where I work. You should come on over, the show is free to the public and the band is going to introduce new songs from their upcoming album ‘Small Miracles’. The crowd will start gathering around 6:30am. I think every day should start with a free live concert. There would be a lot less grouchy people in the workplace, if you got to stop and see a live band on the way to work every day. Dancing in the streets in your white blouse and skirt or your suit and tie, clapping along to live music, trying not to spill your Tim Hortons, yeah…..that’s a great way to start a day. I think I’ll suggest that one to the mayor. I can’t think of one reason why he wouldn’t go for it.

One of the things we love about our pets, is the way their personalities change over the years….just like people. My dog Hudson, the tv-watching dog, has just picked up a new habit. Maybe he saw it on tv. Hudson now gets my attention by tapping me on the shoulder. When he wants something, oh…I don’t know, maybe a cookie, or a sandwich, he now just lifts his paw and taps me on the shoulder while I’m sitting at the computer. He just did it now. That’s why I’m writing about it. I have to go for a minute, Hudson wants a piece of garlic bread.

OK. I’m back. Now my dog has garlic breath.

Did you get your Bruce Springsteen tickets? I hope you fared well. When you think about it, you’re not only getting one of the best rock ‘n roll shows around, you’re also getting 2 tv stars too. Max Weinberg on drums … star of the Conan O’Brien Show. Steve van Zant on guitar and vocals. Star of ‘The Sopranos’. (he played Tony’s loyal buddy Silvio). Speaking of Steve van Zant, Bruce Springsteen has a couple of nicknames for him. ‘Little Steven’, and ‘Miami Steve’. Bruce started calling him Miami Steve when they were kids in New Jersey. He got the name because he and his family went to Miami once.

And now….. a completely useless fact. Richard Gere’s middle name is ‘Tiffany’. Go ahead. Bring that one up at the next party.