Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Feel Good Story!



At BOB FM, we love getting emails from listeners! I had to share this letter I received from Ottawa resident Loralei Shwaylyk:

I am an avid listener of BobFM and know that the station is a very pet friendly venue. I have an amazing story that may interest your staff or even listeners.

I work at a car dealersip. A short while ago, on a Friday morning, I had a technician walk into my office with a small white furrball tucked into his arms.

The story began north of Gatineau, where one of our customers drove in, that chilly morning, with their car exhibiting engine issues. They actually were stuck in traffic and took an hour and ten minutes to reach Bytek. The car remained in our back lot for over an hour, before my technician took it for a test drive on the 417. He returned with the vehicle, put it up on the hoist, and removed the oil pan. To his shock, something moved. He had everyone in the shop come and see, and tucked way back inside was this little white, blue eyed, terrified! kitten. They managed to safely remove him and bring him to inside to the office. The technician told me that, had he been a half a centimetre in any direction during his nearly hour and a half in a running vehicle, he would definately not have survived.

Since we had no idea if the kitten had crawled in here, in our lot, or elsewhere, I had the Advisor call the customer, already then at work, and ask if they or any neighbors had a white kitten.. They stated they had two. The Advisor then, said one had gone for quite a wild ride. During the course of the conversation it became apparent that they had no intention on keeping either of the two kittens and they asked if anyone wanted him. Well, I have sucker written all over me. I have three animals already, all rescue, one 7yr old Golden Retriever, one 14yr old cat and another 8yr old cat.

We kept the little guy in my office in a box. At lunch I picked up a tin of kitten food, that was gone in seconds. We really have no idea how long he had been in the car. At the very least, close to three hours, if not, perhaps overnight!

The next morning I took him into my local vet and had him very closely checked. Incredibly he had no injuries at all.

Not only is he incredibly lucky due to all the above, but he is also 99.999 % white with blue eyes. I had asked the owner if he was deaf (majority of white cats with blue eyes, are) and she said no, but both his brother and mother, were. Vet also confirmed. Another lucky strike!

After he was cleaned up on the Friday he was found, we could not seem to get a tiny little grease smudge off the top of his head. The next day at the Vet's, he told me it was actually about 15-20 hairs of grey fur, not grease. It is like a permanent grease mark identifying him as the little guy that lived to come out of an engine.

He was found in a Jetta Diesel, so his name is Diesel. He thinks Maggie, my Golden is his mother. He kneads and curls up and sleeps on her (see pic).

Perhaps, I have taken up too much of your valuable time, but this is such an amazing "feel good" story with an incredibly lucky ending, I had to share. Diesel has, kind of, become our company mascot. The tech's have pictures of him up on the wall in the garage.

Hope you have a great day, and thanks again for listening to Diesel's story.

Lorelei Shwaylyk