Monday, August 08, 2005

My bike: friend or nemesary?

Back from holidays, I feel like a kid talking about ‘what I did on my summer vacation’. Spent time at the cottage, went to Mont Tremblant, then back at the cottage, then one night in Quebec City, then onto Woodstock New Brunswick, then Maine, then New Hampshire, then back at the cottage, then off to Lake Huron, then I got a new bike. That’s about it. The thing about getting a bike, is that it sits there reminding you that you should go for a bike ride. On my first bike ride, I chose a lovely uphill dirt road. So I walked my bike up the hill. Therefore I didn’t actually ‘ride’ my bike, but we both had a lovely uphill walk. It was quite bonding, actually. Probably didn’t need my helmet.

Have you ever used a word regularly for your entire life, only to discover one day that it isn’t actually a word? The word, is ‘nemesary’. I’ve used it often. I’ve used it in conversation over dinner with my husband, I’ve used it on Saturday nights playing board games with friends, I’ve used to fairly regularly on the air in the morning show. Turns out, ‘nemesary’ is not a word. I was questioned about it recently and checked in the dictionary. It ain’t there. Anyhow, I don’t give up easily and I think ‘nemesary’ deserves to be a real word. ‘Nemesary’, in my definition, is ‘a thorn in your side, as in, your worst competitor ever’…ie…The Ottawa Senators once again had to get past their nemesary, the Toronto Maple Leafs’. I have now officially entered my word for editors’ consideration on the website, www.urbandictionary.com. It apparently takes 21 days for their people to decide whether or not ‘nemesary’ will be accepted as a word. I will keep you posted. In the meantime, let me know if you’ve ever made up a word. Something that can be printed here.

We’re all counting down the days til the big Rolling Stones concert here in Ottawa. While the Stones continue to rehearse in Toronto, I have some friends in T.O who are desperately hoping to catch the Stones in a small club venue, as they always put on a couple of surprise shows before they head out on a big tour. No one knows when or where Mick and Keith and the boys will show up for an impromptu gig. As someone who has never had the thrill of some huge artist jumping up on stage in a small establishment that I happen to be patronizing, I would love to hear stories from anyone who has. The closest I ever came was one night, years ago, standing on Bank Street trying to decide whether or not to go into Barrymores. My friends and I went to Wendy’s instead. Bob Seger showed up and rocked the place til 3 am. Sigh. So close, and yet so far. Fill me in if you have a story!