Thursday, August 11, 2005

Thumbs up to Greekfest!

Sandy’s Blog


Somehow, on ‘the Morning After’ morning show, we got on the topic of soft drinks and other drinks that you just never see around anymore. JR mentioned ‘Tahiti Treat’, which I had never heard of, and I mentioned ‘Beep’, a weird orange drink we used to get as a kid, which JR had never heard of. Now we’re on a mission to find out if ‘Tab’ still exists. Tab had the unfortunate timing of being a diet drink ‘before’ they invented aspartame. I remember it tasting like tree bark. Does anyone know if Tab is still around? In my quest to find some of these drinks, I stumbled upon a whole new drink at Shafali Indian takeout restaurant in the market. Shafali has a big cooler full of the usual pop drinks, but they also carry ‘Thums Up’. Comes in a bottle that looks exactly like a Coke bottle, the drink looks like Coke, then on the label it actually says this is a Coca-Cola product. Its made only in India. On the ‘Thums Up’ bottle is a drawing of a thumb pointing up, like it’s hitchhiking. I’m not about to tell the folks at Coca-Cola that there’s usually a ‘b’ at the end of the word ‘thum’. Anyway, I think I’m now going to start a soft drink collection. So far, I have a bottle of ‘Thums Up’, and a can of Diet Pepsi.

If you’ve ever left a banana on the back seat of your car, you know the trouble that can cause when the temperature is 40 degrees with the humidex. Enough said.

Despite all the criticism of the show ‘Rock Star INXS’, I must say, I love watching it. I agree that it’s a questionable way to replace the late great INXS front-man Michael Hutchence. But I’m absolutely glued to the tv when this show comes on. My choice to win this whole thing is Marty. But the two remaining Canadians, J.D and Suzie have really provided the most entertaining moments. I just hope Van Halen doesn’t start a reality show looking for a new singer. Its highly probable that David Lee Roth would apply for the job.
Uh oh.

The Greek Festival is back!! If you’ve never been, you really have to get a group together and head down to the Hellenic Centre on Prince of Wales. The fun continues til August 21st and the admission is free. Watch for the Zorba dance every night. If they grab you and bring you up on stage, they may give you ‘ouzo’, and you may not make it to work the next day. Just to let you know. Opa!