Sunday, November 20, 2005

Poinsettia Push-over

I’d like to take a moment to thank the Ottawa Citizen sports section. Usually, November is a dull, dreary month. Not a lot happens. But, bless their hearts, the Ottawa Citizen sports writers have all given us something to talk about! Better still, something to argue about! Someone at the Citizen thought it would be a good idea to come up with a name for the Ottawa Senators fantastic trio, Alfredsson, Spezza, and Heatley. They held a ‘name that line’ contest, narrowed it down to three options, the ‘Cash’ line, the ‘Dash’ Line, and the ‘Dazzle’ line. So, with an overwhelming 12,000 votes, the ‘Cash’ line was the winner. End of story. Right? Nope. Every man, woman and child in the Ottawa area has come up with a name for the Alfredsson-Spezza-Heatley line. Yours truly came up with ‘Scorius Maximus’. I got no backers. JR from the Morning After on Bob Fm has quite a campaign going behind ‘the Pizza Line’, and I have to admit, I’m backing him on that one. I love the fact that the crowd at the Corel Centre starts chanting ‘Pizza Pizza’ once the Sens are closing in on 6 goals, because everyone gets free pizza if that happens. JR’s ‘Pizza Pizza’ line not only got a mention on TSN the other night….it got the biggest exposure of all, a mention on Saturday night’s Hockey Night in Canada! Color guy Ron Tugnutt slipped it in! Way to go, Tugger!! And thanks again to the Ottawa Citizen for giving us something to raise our fist about in dreary November. It sure beats talking about freezing rain.

Here’s something unique to mark on your calendar! Saturday December 3rd, grab your bathing suit and your towel and head over to the Orleans Recreational Complex, 1490 Youville Drive – for an underwater photo with Santa Claus himself! The Ottawa Beavers Underwater Scuba Club provides all the snorkel equipment so you don’t need to worry about that. Your unique photo with Santa is just ten bucks, and all proceeds go to the Champions for Children Foundation! No word on whether or not Santa Claus will be wearing a speedo.

Did you watch the Gemini awards the other night? No? Neither did I.

Each year, I buy a poinsettia at this time of year, usually from a charitable organization. Problem is, I still have all the poinsettias that I’ve bought for the last five years. Is it just me, or aren’t these things supposed to die off after Christmas, you know, just turn into brown twigs by February? Are they breeding poinsettias now to last for years and years? I don’t have the heart to toss out a perfectly healthy plant, but I can only keep so many poinsettias. I kinda resent their cheery yuletide spirit in the middle of July. People come over for a barbeque on a hot humid day and my house is filled with poinsettias. Does anyone else have this problem?

I’ve officially purchased my first Christmas gift. This is definitely the earliest I have ever purchased a Christmas gift. Maybe I’m in the mood because of all the poinsettias. This year, I’m going to do everything early and not leave it to the last minute. I even have the new Barenaked Ladies Christmas cd. I want to be one of those people who brags about being finished her shopping by December 1st. I’m going to make cookies too. And hot toddies. My life is going to be straight out of a Martha Stewart how-to Christmas magazine! Sure thing! Or maybe not. I just want to do things differently this year…. I have to remember that not everyone wants a fruitcake for Christmas.