Thursday, January 05, 2006

How to Get a Parking Ticket

Bob FM’s ‘paying off your bills’ right now. Since Bob decided to give our listeners some sweet relief after the expense of the holidays, behind the scenes we’ve been quite entertained at the nature of some of the bills people are sending us. (incidentally, you can send us your bills too, all the info is on this website) Of course we’re getting the usual bills, Visa, hydro, cable, but my favourite so far….today BOB FM picked up the tab for 2 parking tickets. Which actually lead to quite a lesson for me. On the morning show, I advised listeners to do what I do….if you’re parking illegally for a few moments, just leave your hazard lights on and you won’t get a parking ticket. A parking ticket officer called us right away to set me straight on this. ‘Green hornets’ have their own name for hazard lights. They call them ‘come and get me lights’. If your vehicle’s lights are flashing you will actually be the first on the block to get that parking ticket. Sheesh. Foiled again.

I finally saw the movie ‘The 40 Year Old Virgin’. I thought it was pretty funny but I think my favourite running gag in the movie, was the fact that at the electronics store where everyone worked, a music DVD from singer Michael MacDonald played over and over and over again on every single plasma tv in the store. In my experience, every time I go to any ‘high definition’ tv department, they are playing the Eagles dvd, ‘When Hell Freezes Over’. I have seen this Eagles DVD play about a hundred times. If I ever get the urge to watch it, I just go to a tv store.

I came across an interesting website the other day, its www.myheritage.com. This website actually matches your face with the celebrity face that most resembles your face. You simply submit a photo of your face, and they send back the celebrity match! Use this site with caution, though. No one wants to be told that they look like Danny de Vito.

I love reading Sue Sherring’s column in the Ottawa Sun. Sue covers the goings-on at city council, and today she was offering up the latest: city council is thinking of banning ‘personal scents’, such as perfumes, colognes, scented soaps and deodorants, from municipal buildings, recreational centers and even OC transpo buses. Sue envisioned the scene on the bus when each driver has to not only collect fees and check bus passes, they have to actually take a big whiff of every passenger. If they smell at all like a flower, they are not allowed on the bus. But if you stink like garlic, grab yourself a seat! Don’t you just love living in Ottawa?