Wednesday, February 15, 2006

A Helmet is Always a Good Idea

Well, it was a long time coming, but I finally got my first acting part in a film. Ok, it’s a video. OK, it’s a Crimestoppers video. I’m the one getting my purse stolen. Not sure if it’s a speaking part, but I do have to show a wide range of emotions. I may also have to shake my fist at the thief as he runs down the street with my purse, but I’ll let the director decide that. Wow. I can’t believe I landed the role.
My first Crimestoppers video!!!

This Sunday, I can’t wait for the Winterlude media ice carving challenge. It starts at 11 at Confederation Park. I competed in this media challenge two years ago and finished in last place. As this was a ‘media’ challenge, the other teams turned their blocks of ice into carvings of their media logos. CBC carved out a big shiny ‘CBC’, the team from the New RO (now the A-Channel, but it was the New RO back then) carved a beautiful logo of their station name, and the other media competitors did the same. I did an ice carving of a dog. This year, I plan to do something different. I just don’t know what yet. Any suggestions? Maybe I’ll carve out the Parliament Buildings! Or a cat.

I’ve been watching the mens hockey games at the Olympics. This has to be one of the most popular sports at the winter games. At one point Alexi Yashin stepped out onto the ice in Turin, and I heard some fans in the stands booing. Obviously they were long-time Ottawa Sens fans. Wow! Can we ever hold a grudge.

I’m embarrassed to admit it, but I’ve really been enjoying the show ‘Skating with Celebrities’. I have no idea why. These are c-list, maybe even d-list celebrities matched up with professional figure skaters, and the thing is, skating can be dangerous. Last week Bruce Jenner soldiered on after landing face-first on the ice and getting twelve stitches in his head. That’s the spirit! But I think the celebrities should be wearing helmets. It may not compliment their dazzling outfits, but maybe, just maybe the celebrities would be more likely to try the triple toe loops if they wore safety helmets.

Congratulations to ‘Rufus’ the bull terrier who won ‘best in show’ at New York City’s Westminster Dog Show …probably the most prestigious dog show in the world. If you haven’t seen a photo of Rufus, just picture Don Cherry’s dog, except Rufus is a tan colour. I love the fact that ‘Rufus’ did everything right in the competition , edging out hundreds of dogs from all over the world, but not letting it go to his head. Apparently, just after he won this huge event, Rufus went right back to his favourite past-time…jumping up in the air and slamming his butt into the door so someone would let him outside. ‘Show dog’ by day, ‘regular dog’ by night. Gotta love it!