Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Just 24.95 makes you a bigger fan!!!

Hey! Great news!! INXS is coming to Ottawa’s Scotiabank Place on May 12! Not-so-great-news……. INXS is offering pre-sale tickets (as of Feb 14th) to members only! For the low price of $24.95 U.S, you can buy an INXS fan club membership, which entitles you to tickets w-a-a-y before anyone else! I really like the new INXS, but I’m starting to wonder about this ‘pre-sale’ stuff. Maybe its just me. What do you think? Why do we always have to be in a ‘club’? I’ve spent most of my life trying to avoid being in a club. Unless you count the yearbook club. Anyway, see you at the show. No doubt I will soon be a member of the INXS club for 24.95. Hope taxes are included.

I was at my gym today at the University of Ottawa. Sometimes visiting NHL hockey teams go there for a game-day practice. On two separate occasions, I found myself pounding away on a Stairmaster next to Joe Sakic from the Colorado Avalanche. OK, maybe I was reading a People magazine on a Stairmaster, but the Joe Sakic part is absolutely true. Today, as soon as I entered the gym building I could feel the buzz! There were people with cameras everywhere so I went right to the rink and there they were!!! NHL hockey players, having a practice! Problem was, I had no clue which team I was watching. As the players zipped up and down the ice, I tried to identify the logo on their jerseys. After a great deal of time I decided that the logo on their shirts was a ‘bowl of soup’ with a ladle sticking out of it. What NHL team was that, exactly? Too proud to ask anyone at the rink who these famous guys were, I went home and checked my trusty Ottawa Senators magnetized fridge schedule. Aha!! They were Atlanta Thrashers! Can someone tell me why the team logo is a bowl of soup?

Some things in life are just plain funny. Last fall, Hall and Oates came to town for a show at the Civic Centre. To talk about the concert, John Oates joined us for a radio interview on ‘the Morning After’. During the interview, I told him a quick story, about being at a wedding a few years back and the bride and groom’s ‘special song’ at the reception, was Hall and Oates’ “Maneater”. You know the song….’oh-oh here she comes…watch out boys she’ll chew you up….she’s a maneater…..’
John Oates thought that was pretty funny. Now, fast forward, to the month of February, to the next episode of ‘Will and Grace’. In the episode, Hall and Oates guest star as wedding singers. The bride and groom’s song? ‘Maneater’. Coincidence? Yeah, probably.

Got your tickets yet for the Humane Society ‘Fur Ball”? The theme is ‘Venetian Carnivale’ and it’s a very classy evening with food, entertainment, and unbelievable prizes including trips and fabulous jewellery from Jubilee. Join me and CTV’s JJ Clarke at the Chateau Laurier March 25th, and don’t forget to wear a mask! All proceeds to the Ottawa Humane Society!! For ticket info, click on the ‘pet friendly’ section of this website or go to www.ottawahumane.ca!

This coming Tuesday, we welcome a special guest to ‘the Morning After’ on 939 bob fm. Be sure to listen just after 8 am, because the always hysterical Mary Walsh will be joining JR and I for some fun. We loved Mary on ‘This Hour Has 22 Minutes’, and now she’s back with a new comedy, ‘Hatching, Matching and Dispatching’, on CBC Television. We’ll talk to Mary about the new show, and Mary has also agreed to do me a big favour. At 8 pm on February 14th, I will be in a local production of The Vagina Monologues. Mary Walsh has agreed to help me with rehearsing some of my lines. So tune in for that. And if you’d like to catch the Vagina Monologues, there are two showings, Feb 14th and 15th, at the Bronson Centre. For details go to www.ottawavday.ca. This is a fabulous play – and all proceeds go to the Sexual Assault Support Centre of Ottawa. See you there!