Thursday, May 04, 2006

Flower Power and Screw Caps

Its not everyday that you see a pirate ship. I was driving along the canal yesterday when I spotted it, sailing down the canal in the area of the Pretoria Bridge. I didn’t get a good look at any of the pirates, I guess they were ‘down below’ counting loot or whatever it is pirates do. Anyway, word is that the pirate ship is now docked at Dows Lake. No doubt it chose that spot because its close to the ‘aaaarrrrboretum’.
Thank you, I’m here all week.

I love the Tulip Festival! There’s a lot of stuff tied into the tulip festival….food, entertainment…artwork…all that’s great but my favourite thing about the Tulip Festival is….the tulips!! I’m a flower-a-holic and I love being around flowers. So, with the return of the Tulip Festival, comes one of my favourite hobbies: seeing how many tourist photos I can get into. I don’t do it on purpose, but just before someone snaps a photo of his or her family in front of a big beautiful tulip bed, I seem to have a knack for choosing that exact second to wander around in the background. Thank goodness for digital photography, because I think if people ‘crop’ their photos they can cut me out.

The Tulip Festival, Ottawa Senators play-offs, wow!!! What a great time to be an Ottawan. I’m sure our good mayor Bob Chiarelli is somewhat relieved that the Senators eliminated the Tampa Bay Lightning. On the ‘morning after’ on BOB FM, Mayor Chiarelli publicly announced, that should the Senators lose the series to Tampa Bay, he would sit atop one of those “Le Bifteque’ bulls on Pinecrest Road, wearing only a speedo and some chaps. Wonder what he’ll agree to for the Buffalo series?! Would the good mayor sit atop a stack of buffalo wings wearing only a speedo and some chaps?

I still have a huge vole problem. Not only have voles destroyed my lawn, they are now into my flower gardens!!! I finally discovered that help is just a phone call away. ‘The Ottawa Carleton Master Gardeners Hot-Line’ will have the answers I’m looking for. Problem is, the Ottawa Carleton Master Gardeners only answer their phone between 1 pm and 3 pm on Wednesdays. I think about calling the Master Gardeners all the time. Sometimes at 9 am, or noon, or 5. I need to talk to a master gardener. But I just never think about it between 1 and 3 pm on Wednesdays. Why can’t they answer the phone between 9 and noon on Mondays? Or between 3 and 6 on Tuesdays? Why do I have to be a slave to their schedule? The Ottawa Carleton Master Gardeners. Don’t even think about calling them unless its between 1 and 3 on a Wednesday. Oh, and, don’t try leaving a message because they won’t let you. This I know as a fact. But if I could leave a message, I would tell the Ottawa Carleton Master Gardeners to call me back between 2 and 2:15 on the last Friday of the month. That would show them.
How long does a previously opened bottle of red wine last? I opened a bottle two weeks ago and just had one small glass. I don’t know much about red wine, except that I should stop keeping it in the fridge. I must admit, I’m still not crazy about the fact that even really really good wine-makers are now using screw caps instead of corks. I understand its because there is a shortage of cork around the world. But, when you know nothing about wine, like I do, the only way I was ever able to determine whether or not a wine was decent, was by one simple factor: a cap meant it was cheap wine, a cork meant it was a better wine. Now how am I supposed to know the difference, if all wines start using screw caps? Can’t they plant more cork trees? Actually, here’s an idea: you know those wedgie shoes that were in style in the 70’s, and now they’re back in style, and they make you 6 feet tall, because your wedgie shoes are made of 6 inches of cork? How about we all toss our wedgie cork shoes together so we can have enough cork so that people who don’t know anything about wine can still determine whether or not a wine is any good because it has a cork?! Someone should run with this idea. I can help whenever I can, but not between 1 and 3 on Wednesdays.