Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Steve Gregory, Mike Fisher, and a boat

Somehow we just got through what had to be one of the worst May long weekends in the history of man-kind…weather-wise, of course. We had 11 days of rain in a row. Its hard to think positive when its day 11 of steady rain, but here are a few advantages to the soggy weather: no mosquitoes. Mosquitoes like to eat us when the sky is clear. We’ve all saved about ten bucks because we haven’t had to buy a bottle of suntan lotion. And because of the rain, no one has had to paint a fence or a house. That’s it. That’s my list of advantages to 11 days of rain. Yep.

I accidentally discovered something on the weekend that I’d like to pass along to any woman who has trouble getting her husband/boyfriend to cook. On the Food Network, there’s a show called ‘Ready to Grill’. My husband has never seen a show on the Food Network, mostly because, well, its all about cooking. It was actually quite calculated, but I pretended to ‘stumble’ on the show ‘Ready to Grill’ while Rob and I were channel surfing (yep, it was raining outside!) . Well, will wonders never cease. ‘Ready to Grill’ is hosted by this awesome macho guy who grills stuff outside, makes these amazing marinades, always has wine handy, and he has a BACKYARD FRIDGE!!! By the end of the show, my husband had a pad and paper out, and was designing our new backyard kitchen, complete with big kahuna bbq AND backyard fridge!!! So, ladies….its worth a try. See what happens when your husband watches ‘Ready to Grill’. Let me know if it works for you. I wonder if there’s a show called ‘I Want My Wife to Have a Whole New Wardrobe’.

This Saturday night, singer-songwriter (and piano player extraordinaire) Allison Crowe is appearing at a fundraiser for Vision Theatre and Canines With a Cause. (all the info is on this website, just click on the ‘pet friendly’ section) There’s a pre-show reception, followed by Allison Crowe in concert and some great prizes – all for just $20 advance, $25 at the door. You’ll get all the info about the launch of Vision Theatre’s new season, and all funds raised will support Canines with a Cause, a wonderful organization that provides assistance dogs to those in need. I’m happy to MC this wonderful event, this Saturday night at Arts Court, on Daly Avenue!! www.visiontheatre.ca/www.canineswithacause.org

Thank you very much to Bob FM’s very own Steve Gregory, who ran into Ottawa Senators’ very own Mike Fisher at George’s Marine. Not only did Steve send me an ‘audio hello’ from big ‘number 12’ himself, I was just handed a Bayliner boat brochure, signed by none other than Mike Fisher. Not only did I get the incredible joy of having a boat brochure signed by Mike Fisher, I think I’m in love with the Bayliner 175 Runabout with the stereo and extra storage space. Thanks Steve.