Sunday, May 14, 2006

I have a frog named Tony

I wore my lucky shirt, and my lucky socks, and I had my lucky rock in my pocket but the Senators were still eliminated. Thank you to the Ottawa Senators for another entertaining year!

Speaking of entertaining, I really enjoyed the INXS show at Scotiabank Place Friday night. I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect. I knew the band would be good, being such seasoned pro’s, but I wasn’t sure if the JD Fortune experiment would actually gel. I thought JD Fortune was quite a captivating front man….despite one rookie error. At one point, J.D. actually pleaded with the women in the front to take off their tops. This went over like a lead balloon. I don’t think today’s INXS audience is filled with women who climb on their boyfriend’s shoulders and lift up their shirts. Maybe they did that 20 years ago. But it was a great show, and JD has an amazing voice. And pretty cool when you think about this: here he is, playing for thousands of people, and approximately one year ago he was living under a bridge with his dog. Don’t you just love stories with happy endings!

I met Sabiha Casey recently, the woman who makes my favourite hot sauces in the whole world. Actually, Sabiha and her husband Paul make them, from their home in Dunrobin. They’re called ‘Cooksville’ hot sauces, and they have amazing flavours like ‘Death Valley Inferno’, and ‘Hawaiian Heat’. Add a few drops to a boring burger and suddenly it’s a party in your mouth and everyone’s invited. Check out the website, www.cooksvillehotsauce.com. Fantastic stuff!!!!

I’ve always been a big Neil Young fan, and my husband and I immediately rush out and buy every CD he ever puts out, including the newest, ‘Living With War’. Wow, is Neil ever steamed. And when Neil is steamed, it translates into some passionate and powerful music. This is a protest album about the war in Iraq and no matter where you stand on this issue…..you sure have to admit…that Neil Young doesn’t ‘beat around the bush’. No pun intended. Some songwriters create sonic imagery and leave the interpretation up to the listener. On Neil’s album, ‘Living With War’, there’s a song called ‘Lets Impeach the President’. Tell us how you really feel, Neil.

I have a pet frog. I don’t keep him in the house of course, he’s just chosen to live in my yard, therefore I now consider him one of my pets. I have one of those oak rainbarrels that’s filled with water with a spout that pours continuously, and a frog has moved in. He sits on the ledge of the barrel watching me in the garden, or sometimes he just swims around in the barrel . His name is Tony. I have lots of pictures of him which I will send to Andy, our Bob FM webmaster, to see if he will post Tony on our pet-friendly site. We love pictures of pets on our pet friendly site, so send those shots in!!! Right now there are lots of dogs and cats, some birds and a hedge-hog. And, coming soon, my frog named Tony.