Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Don't Forget Your Lucky Underwear

Here in Ottawa we have been ‘in our glory’ the past few days. It’s a proven fact that Canadians love two topics. One, is the weather. The second, is hockey. So it was pretty exciting that right smack dab in the middle of our first play-off series between the Penguins and our beloved Senators, we also got one heck of a spring snow storm. Its not unusual to get the odd snow-flake in April, but we were on the receiving end of a good old fashioned snow storm yesterday, 17 cm!!!! Enough to cancel school buses and send workers back to bed. Of course, the ‘work from home’ people were completely unaffected.

I have a couple of friends who work from home. I can see why it would be great to work from home: no need to battle rush hour traffic, you can stay in your teddy bear pyjamas, get a bit of work done, grab a free coffee anytime you want, have your dog lie at your feet, check in on Days of Our Lives, get some work done, go to the super-box and get your mail, make a salad, do a bit more work, write captions under last summer’s vacation pictures, stare out the window, surf E-bay, walk the dog, do some more work, pressure wash the walk-way and maybe even the house, call it a day, have a glass of wine. I think that must be what its like working from home. Let me know if I’m wrong.

I’m starting to seriously think about staying away from Ottawa Senators home games during the play-offs. I love play-off hockey. I love the Senators. I love going to Ottawa Senators play-off games. But every time I go to a game at Scotiabank Place, they lose. If I’m not at Scotiabank Place, they win. Am I prepared to stay away, for the good of the team? Should I be prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice….no live action Sens play-off hockey for me, unless I watch it on tv or listen to the radio? Hmmmm……let me think about that…….hmmm….not a chance. Besides, how do I know its not the guy in section 101 row 29 who forgot to wear his lucky underwear to the game? How do I know its not THAT GUY that caused the Sens to lose?

I have an official ‘food’ of the Ottawa Senators play-off run. Its spicy jerk chicken on a bun with mango salsa. It has absolutely nothing to do with hockey. I just really like it. Its healthy, too. Last year, the official play-off food in our house was chicken wings. 2 pounds a game. By the time the hockey season was over, neither me or my husband could fit into our shorts.

Next week, April 22nd to 28th, is ‘Organ Donation Awareness Week’. On Thursday April 26th at 6 pm, the A-Channel is hosting an event in conjunction with the Kidney Foundation. There will be an auction of t-shirts, each painted to promote the ‘Living Green Ribbon Campaign’. The Living Green Ribbon is the symbol for organ donation. Everyone is invited to the party, come on out – and please….if you can….please bid on our t-shirt. Yes, ‘the Morning After’ painted a t-shirt for the cause. The artwork is not good, not good at all. But it’s the thought that counts. For more information, www.kidneyfoundation.ca