Sunday, April 08, 2007

Rocky Balboa Rocks!!!

Happy Easter! May there be many chocolate bunnies to consume today. I was at a shop the other day that was selling all kinds of traditional Easter treats, including chocolate Bart Simpsons and chocolate Homers. They were right next to the chocolate Nascar race cars. Now..’that’s’ Easter!

There’s a staff NHL play-off pool taking place tomorrow evening. I work with a lot of people who take their sports knowledge and love of hockey statistics quite seriously. These are the kind of guys who can watch a hockey game and size up the drama with a doozy of a statistic. For instance….did you know that if the Penguins are down by one goal in the second period, and the Senators Chris Neil has already had 3 fights, and Sidney Crosby has broken 2 hockey sticks with his slapshot, and the referee got a puck in the ankle just before the buzzer, that 77 percent of the games where this happens, the first goal of the third period is scored by Ottawa within 43 seconds.
I work with guys who talk like that.
It might be kinda fun to enter a play-off pool, where my player choices are based on their hair.

I’m not sure why I didn’t race out to see the movie ‘Rocky Balboa’ when it was in theatres last fall. Considering the fact that the original ‘Rocky’ is still my favourite movie of all time, I should’ve gone to see this one. But I didn’t, and I guess it was because I was too scared to see it. After the original ‘Rocky’, all the other Rocky movies just seemed to be attempts at ‘cashing in’. They were ridiculous. And each new Rocky movie just seemed to chip away at the integrity of the original. But, when I saw the DVD ‘Rocky Balboa’ staring back at me at the video store yesterday, I grabbed it. My husband and I watched it from the comfort of our couch….I could turn it off at any time should it start to be inane like Rocky 2, 3, 4, and 5. Well, I didn’t turn it off. I loved every minute of it. Sylvester Stallone completely re-captured the decency of his beloved Rocky character. Rocky as an aging fighter was pure grit and passion. If you haven’t seen ‘Rocky Balboa’ yet, possibly for the same reasons that I took so long to see it, do yourself a favour and rent it. You’ll love it. And keep Kleenex handy.

Genesis fans are already a-buzz about the big show coming to Scotiabank Place on September 15th. Tickets go on sale in a week but we will be giving a pair a day away all this week on ‘the Morning After’. Genesis has not graced a stage in Ottawa since their Abacab tour in December 1981. Were you there? I’d love to read a review of the ’81 show. This September’s Genesis show should be one of the biggest concerts of the year in Ottawa. But once you have your tickets, try not to think about it too much, because the show is in the FALL, and no one wants to wish summer away. Not everyone will agree with this last statement, but some people will. I hope.