Friday, May 30, 2008

The 'Honey-Do List'

I'm off for a girls' weekend in Kingston, so naturally I did what most wives would do. I left my husband a list of things I hope he will do over the weekend. Nothing huge, there are only 3 things on the list: clear away the dead brush beside the cottage, paint my outdoor accessory box, and build a bench. I think this 'honey-do' list is fairly reasonable. But when I mentioned it to JR, 'wow'... what a reaction! He's not a fan of the 'honey-do' list, thats obvious. As a matter of fact, he thinks that when MEN go away for the weekend, THEY should present their wives with a 'honey-do' list! This was quite a popular topic on the 'Morning After' show, with JR trying (struggling) to convince men to 'turn the tables', and leave their wives a list of chores they expect to be taken care of before they return from a 'going away with the boys' trip. After 2 days of phone calls to the radio show, not ONE man thought this was something they could get away with. My favourite call was from the guy who began, 'JR, I totally agree! If I went away for the weekend with the guys, I would ABSOLUTELY make a chore list for my wife! I love the idea! Unfortunately, my wife won't let me go away for the weekend'! I'm still chuckling over that one.
---
Its a HUGE weekend for women, with 'Sex and the City' finally in the theatres! A lot of my girlfriends are dressing up, getting together for 'cosmopolitans', then heading off to see the ultimate chick flick. This movie has certainly done wonders to promote 'Manolo Blahnik' shoes. I'd never seen a pair of 'Manolo Blahnik' shoes until I was out with some friends one night a couple of years ago. One friend had done well in the 'stock market', and bought herself a pair of high-heeled 'Manolos', of course I pressed and pressed to find out how much $$$ they cost. They were $850.00. At the time, I was wearing my trusty black shoes from Payless, for which I shelled out $29.99. Anyway, we headed to the summer patio of a local establishment, and found ourselves walking across a cedar deck with 2 inch spaces between the deck boards. Both heels of my friend's $850 Manolo Blahnik shoes got caught in the decking and snapped right off. And here I am, two years later, still wearing my $29.99 Payless shoes. What's the moral of this story? I'm not sure.
__
Every once in a while, a real story of inspiration comes your way, and this is definitely one of those. Ottawa resident Dan Hopkins is leaving town this Sunday, on an incredible expedition...all the way to the top of 'Denali' in Alaska, North America's tallest and most dangerous mountain.
Dan's great uncle, Hudson Stuck, was the first to summit Denali in 1913 and Dan is honoring this challenge with a similar trek. He's also raising money to support food programs for native children in the North. We wish him a safe journey and congratulate him for taking on such a noble feat. Better still, we can all help Dan by stopping by the Royal Oak on Wellington Street any time tomorrow (beginning at 11 am), where there will be live entertainment, prizes, etc, all to raise funds for Dan's expedition. Of course, Dan will be there, so give him a pat on the back. I wonder if he's like a typical guy and he still hasn't packed yet.
You can follow the story and Dan's progress at www.climbforlife.com