Thursday, May 15, 2008

Pulled Pork Day!

Yeeeoowww!! The black flies are here! And the mosquitoes! Ouch! Outside of being covered from head to toe .... I have no idea how to avoid the big chunks of flesh that the bugs are ripping from my neck and my feet. One of our listeners suggested the 'therapik.
http://www.buyatherapik.com/
Its a battery-operated thingy that heats up and you put it on your skin to relieve bug bites. But I can't help but think that with the 'Therapik', you are replacing the sting of bug bites with the pain of burning flesh. Or maybe its just me. They say bugs are attracted to dark clothing. So I went gardening today dressed in pastel pink. Apparently they are also attracted to pastel pink. Maybe tomorrow I will try a nice lime sherbet outfit.
-
Its the first long weekend of summer! Not officially summer yet, but the May long weekend is definitely the kick-off to an entire season of bbq's, garage sales, camping, cottages, outdoor concerts, and wearing shorts to work. Does your workplace allow you to wear shorts? If not, you should get a petition started. I think everyone should be allowed to wear shorts to work. If you have a desk job, you should still be ok to get away with a nice blazer on the top, and shorts on the bottom.
-
Have you ever had a 'pulled pork' sandwich? We were introduced to this 'southern' specialty recently. Friends made it for us, pulled pork on a bun, and we immediately needed the recipe. Turns out, we also needed to buy a 'slow cooker'. Today was the day that we slow cooked a hunk of pork . Three ingredients were tossed into the slow cooker at 7 am this morning: a hunk of pork, some diced onions, and 2 bottles of barbeque sauce. I usually have a nap in the afternoon (crazy morning show hours make it hard to stay up til ...oh, 8 pm without a nap), but today, on 'pulled pork day', I couldn't sleep in the afternoon because of the smell of the slow cooker. I just lay there thinking about having pulled pork. The odour was so strong, I went for a walk and I could smell it from up the street. By the time it came to finally eat our sandwiches, I had sensory over-load and I was walking, talking, and dreaming pulled pork. We ate, and it was pretty good, but no where near the level of euphoria I had dreamt about. A lesson to be learned here....aromas from a slow cooker can consume your day. Try to stay out of the house, keep busy, resist the urge to repeatedly lift the glass cover, do not watch the clock. Today I devoted my entire day to a pulled pork sandwich. Do not let this happen to you!