Sunday, March 06, 2011

Science Experiment with my Sorels!






Had a great time at Queen Elizabeth School on Friday! Science teacher Dana Hall (er, Mr. Hall I guess is the proper title) went above and beyond to help me out with a little science experiment (and a chance to have some bragging rights!)
I recently bought a pair of Sorel winter boots that are rated to MINUS 100 DEGREES FARHENHEIT! My partners at work, Stuntman Stu and Hammer highly doubted that my boots would keep my feet warm at that temperature. I needed proof that my boots would stand up to the test...problem was, Ottawa temperatures don't get anywhere near as cold as minus 100 degrees fahrenheit. (although sometimes it seems that way!) Well, lo and behold, Mr Hall and his Queen Elizabeth science students to the rescue! This past Friday my Sorel boots were plunged into a bucket of dry ice (temperature: minus 100 degrees farhenheit!)..after five minutes, we checked the temperature inside the boots, they were still toasty warm. I then put on one of my boots (student Judette put the other boot on) and we plunged them back into the ice, same result. Thanks to Mr Hall and the kids at Queen Elizabeth, I learned a valuable lesson on Friday. I should have put some money on this bet with Stu and Hammer.