Thursday, July 12, 2007

Bluesfest is the Bestfest!

Last night was my third trip to Bluesfest and I just can’t stop raving about how much fun it is. And how LUCKY we are to have this fantastic festival right here in Ottawa! So far I’ve seen Bob Dylan, Joel Plaskett, the White Stripes, Steve Miller, and various bands on some of the smaller stages, and tonight its Blue Rodeo…..tomorrow night, INXS….phew- and to top it all off, ‘The Village People’ on Sunday! How can you beat that? I absolutely close my ears when I hear people complain about Bluesfest. Don’t get me wrong. I like to complain about lots of things, but I never complain about Bluesfest. Again this year the ‘lawn chair people’ are battling the ‘standers’. People are also complaining about the line-ups, the location, the noise, the weather, the sun’s glare off the river, the grass not being soft enough, the beer cup lids not being tight enough, the people in the VIP section looking too happy, the hand-washing water outside the porta-potties not being cold enough, the sun going down too early, the sun going down too late, why are bikes not allowed inside the venue, the tiny tom donuts have too much sugar on them, there’s mustard on my shoe and I didn’t put it there. Geez!! We have the most amazing festival in North America right in our backyard, so stop complaining!!! Now I’m complaining about all the complaining. See, I told you, I also like to complain.


Hey, if you’re looking for something fun to do on Sunday besides Bluesfest, head out to Almonte!! Not only is Almonte the top spot for UFO sighting, its also the host of ‘Celtfest’! Its all about live entertainment with jigs and reels and all things ‘celtic’, food, beer, and its absolutely free, (not the food and beer, but the admission) at Gemmill Park from noon to 8 pm! Senators Army Captain Ryan Guthrie is one of the organizers so its got to be good! For more info go to www.almonteceltfest.com! Who knows….after a few hours at ‘Celtfest’, you too may just see a UFO! Let me know if you do! I haven’t heard a good UFO story for a while.

I am now an officially ordained minister. I filled out all the proper paperwork at www.themonastery.org, site of the Universal Life Church Monastery. I have received my certificate with my new title, Reverend Sandy Sharkey. I now have the right to perform baptisms, weddings, any legal ceremony I choose, with the exception of circumcision. For that, I would need to fill out more forms.
You know that expression, ‘if you love your tv so much, why don’t you marry it’? Or…’if you love your truck so much, why don’t you marry it’….etc…well, now you can! Let me know if you’d like me to marry you to someone or something. The sky’s the limit with the Universal Life Church. Or, better yet, go on their website and fill out the paperwork, then perform the wedding yourself if you like! All the best!