Thursday, July 26, 2007

Say!!! Thats Great Corn!!!!

Is everyone in the world on holidays right now? It seems like every time I send an email to someone, I get the ‘out of office reply’! Even when I send an email to friends who don’t have jobs.
Is it really possible to completely step away from your email? Even while you’re on holidays, if you see a computer, are you not just a ‘bit’ tempted to log on for a second and check your messages? I try and try and try to ignore my email when I’m on vacation. But what if someone is sending me a message that Bruce Springsteen is putting on a secret show tonight at Barrymores? Or someone has sent me a really cute video montage of dogs doing funny things? Or a recipe? Or a backyard photo of a woodpecker? Admittedly sometimes the curiosity is just too much. I think I proved that when I paid 100 pesos to access a computer in an internet café in Isla Mujeres Mexico. Yes, I did check my email that day. However, I did not RETURN any email. That would lead people to think I was, in fact, checking my email.

Zowie! Gadzooks! I never thought this would happen to me………..
I have always been the ‘last’ person people have trusted with any kind of cooking tip. However, I had to share this one with listeners and since then….the feedback has been amazing. A friend of ours, Bruce Simpson (and his lovely fiancée Sara) joined us for dinner at our place last week. At one time Bruce owned a restaurant, and he really knows his way around the kitchen. So he took over in MY kitchen, which made me quite happy!!!! For an appetizer, Bruce served us each a piece of fresh local corn on the cob, and it was the best corn I’d ever tasted! Here’s what he did:
-husked the corn
-splashed on a bit of soya sauce and fresh lime juice (don’t raise an eyebrow, just do it, trust me!!)
- MICROWAVED on high power for about 5 minutes (this cooks 2 – 3 cobs of corn, depending on your microwave)
- Once cooked, he rolled it in melted butter and served it to us and WOW!!! Its was unbelievable! Bruce is of the opinion that corn-on-the-cob is the ONLY food that actually tastes BETTER by being microwaved!! This new piece of information has since been welcomed by two groups of people: the ‘COOK CORN IN BOILING SALTED WATER FOR 20 MINUTES’ people…and the ‘NEED TO EAT SOMETHING FAST’ people. I will never boil corn again. And I may not eat anything else this summer. Except ice cream.

Are you going to see the new Simpsons movie? I can’t wait to see it. I was kinda disappointed that they didn’t have the ‘midnight premiere’ of ‘The Simpsons Movie’. I thought they did that every time a movie was so highly anticipated. I definitely would have been one of the people in line at the theatre to see the movie at 12:01 am. Like just about everyone else, I love the Simpsons. My favourite character tends to change from Bart to Homer then back to Bart then over to Marge, and often my favourite character is Lisa. Maybe our favourite Simpson character is determined by who we can most identify with. That must be why I love Milhouse. So mis-understood!