Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Doe! A Deer! Two female Deer!




Bam Bam Baby # 1 Bam Bam Baby # 2
Remember back in December, when the Ontario Ministry of the Environment seized Bam Bam the deer from Greely couple Bruce and Christina Straby, and brought her to a zoo? (the Strabys had rescued her from the side of the road as a seriously ill tiny day-old fawn) There was no center for wildlife rehabilitation, so the Strabys kept Bam Bam on a hobby farm where she thrived quite nicely, until MNR officers seized her last winter. After much public outcry, Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty himself apologized to the Strabys, and Bam Bam was returned to the farm around Christmas-time. Well, lo and behold, for the short time Bam Bam was in a local zoo back in December – she was placed with a male white-tailed deer and guess what….last week she gave birth to twins! I had the pleasure of visiting the little babies this morning. Two tiny female fawns that weigh about 3 pounds each. Bam Bam is an excellent mother, she hides them in the grass and does what comes naturally. I took some photos (using a telephoto so I didn’t disturb them). They must be the cutest critters I have ever seen.


‘Dancing with the Stars’ comes to town next week! Did you watch the show? I tried to pretend that I didn’t watch it, but I did. I must admit I got completely caught up in it, with some pretty hot moves week after week from Apolo Anton Ohno, Layla Ali and Joey Fatone. Even that Beverly Hills 90210 guy was pretty good. Some of the dancers will be here at Scotiabank Place on Tuesday, and…guess what? You have a chance to be on the stage too!! ‘Dancing With the Stars;’ is looking for a local couple to strut their stuff at Scotiabank Place before the big show on Tuesday. Think you know how to ‘cha cha’? Local couples are invited to contact Melissa from the Fred Astaire Dance Studio at 613-567-3237, for a chance to audition this Friday night – and who knows, you could be on ‘Dancing with the Stars’ Ottawa edition next Tuesday! P.s. I will be one of the judges. What qualifies me to be a dance judge? Absolutely nothing. I just like watching it.

‘Animal Fest’ starts on Friday, 3 days of fun at Big Sky Animal Sanctuary in Kemptville. For details, check the website www.bigskyranch.ca! BOB FM will be there on Saturday, there’s a full line-up of entertainment and prizes and food and tons of things going on, not to mention the animals! All proceeds to ‘Animal Fest’ go to help out the unwanted and abused horses, dogs, goats, cats, chickens, and pigs at Big Sky, where animals go for a second chance. I will be the MC on Saturday, and my good buddy Chris Day from CTV Ottawa will be your host on Sunday. We’d love to see you, come on out for a day on the farm!

Busy times here in town, wow, its also Bluesfest time again! I LOVE Bluesfest, there’s something about seeing live bands in the summer under the stars. Some of the best conversations you can ever have are when you are in the porta-potti line-up. I may try to catch Bob Dylan, definitely Blue Rodeo, the Solid Gold Dancers, Ten Years After, and everything I can possibly watch on the Black Sheep Stage. Kudos to the people who fork out the big $$$$ to be in the VIP section right near the stage. Last year a friend of mine tried to sneak in to the VIP section, she’s a wonderful upstanding high tech computer whiz, blonde, beautiful, owns her own home, a car, she’s awesome, and she got turfed from Bluesfest for trying to sneak into the VIP section. Do not try this. I believe she is still banned from Bluesfest