Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Happy New Deer! (sorry!)



We're just a few days into the new year and I have made an observation about the way people seem to be feeling. More than any other January, I've had people give me the dark stare of gloom if I bring up the words 'New Year resolution'. Ha! I'm not a 'resolution' kind of person either, so I haven't been taking the dark stares of gloom personally. By making a resolution, we are really just setting ourselves up for failure, because we are under some kind of social pressure to make a resolution. The pressure comes from a TV news story, or a newspaper, or a magazine article, or a guest on Oprah. But the only way we will stick to positive change, is if we decide to do it on our own terms, and hey, lets do it in June. Or August. Or November for that matter. So, I am glad to join in the anti-spirit of resolution making. But, if I was going to make a New Years resolution, it would definitely be to watch more episodes of 'Hoarders'.

If you want a really great outing with the kids, bundle them up and take them to the 'Old Quarry Trail', which you can access (lots of parking) across from the Hazeldean Mall on Hazeldean Road. Bring sunflower seeds for the chicadees, they will eat right out of your hand. And, you may get lucky and find yourself face to face with a beautiful deer, or two. (the two deer pictured above didn't mind having their photo taken) Going for a hike in the woods beats a new year's resolution any day of the week. (thanks to my friend Derrick for the tip about this trail, I love it!)