Tuesday, October 11, 2005

why everyone should have a personal trainer

Did you happen to catch U2 on the Conan O’Brien show last week? We taped the show (its on too late for me) and just got around to watching it. That in itself is pretty impressive, if I do say so myself, for once I’ve actually watched something within a week of taping it. I still haven’t watched the opening ceremonies of the winter Olympics in Lillehammer, which I believe took place in 1994. But the tape awaits. Anyway, back to U2. I loved watching them on the Conan show because they were so relaxed, they were candid, they showed their sense of humour. Bono works so tirelessly to take care of serious global problems, and the world admires him for it, but it was nice to see him just kick back and have fun and share some laughs with Conan and the band. I loved how Conan dug up some tidbits from the past. With Larry, the Edge, Adam and Bono on Conan’s couch we learned that Bono started in the band as the drummer, but couldn’t quite cut it, then he was the lead guitar player, and that didn’t work out, then he wasn’t in the band at all, he was gently removed and given the role of manager. Then somehow he wormed his way back in, and became U2’s lead singer. Thank goodness for that. U2’s concert in Ottawa, we can actually say, is NEXT MONTH!! In my lifetime I have never seen a concert ticket so hard to come by. But, here at BOB FM, we want to thank all the listeners who signed our petition last winter and brought the band here. We have tons of U2 tickets to give away. All the details, right here on this website.

I’ve hired a personal trainer, his name is George. Having a personal trainer is fantastic. When you have a personal trainer, you use the phrase ‘personal trainer’ in as many conversations as you can in one day. For example, ‘Oh, that’s a nice color of t-shirt, that reminds me of the shoes worn by my personal trainer’. Or, ‘I’ll have a big Mac, fries, and, since I just left my personal trainer, I’ll have a diet Coke’. If you pay someone to be your personal trainer, you can say all these things. And then there’s something about getting in shape, too, but that’s not as big a deal.

My personal trainer is a caber tosser. He wears a skirt and throws telephone poles as far as he can. Can anyone tell me how this chain of events came to be? Did early Scotsmen decide that tossing telephone poles across a river was easier than building a bridge? And why didn’t they wear pants?

I’ve got my Hallowe’en costume all figured out. I know its early, but when inspiration strikes, you just have to go for it. I was watching ‘Arrested Development’ the other night, the show that is so funny but so twisted that its impossible to explain to someone at work the next day. Anyway, on the show, there’s a bit of a recurring theme involving the Blue Man Group. Perfect. I’m going to be a member of the Blue Man Group. Anyone know where I can get some metallic royal blue paint?