Monday, June 06, 2005

non-swimming dogs and spray-on tan disasters

At the cottage on the weekend, I saw something I’ve never seen before. A woman was paddling by in her kayak, and on top of the kayak was a dog wearing a life jacket. I think it was a jack russell terrier and it never occurred to me that maybe a dog with such short little legs just plain can’t swim. Can’t even do the doggie paddle, which is pretty much the only form of swimming I can do. Do they have life jackets for cats too?

Has anyone out there had any luck with those spray-on tans? I was in the drug store the other day and I stood there reading the label of ‘tan in a bottle’. ‘Spray on evenly, towel off excess, don’t shower for 2 days, don’t go outside, don’t move, sit still, don’t wear clothes, don’t apply anywhere near your mouth or eyes, and if used properly you won’t have orange streaks’. Hmm. Sounds like something I should try! If you have any spray-on tanning disaster stories, please share them here. Because, like all things in life, what seems like a good idea at the time always makes a great story later.

I had one of my favourite summer dinners the other night, ‘beer butt chicken’. Take a can of beer, shove it into a chicken, put it on the barbeque, close lid and walk away for 2 ½ hours. Oh yeah, one thing thats really important: if you make beer butt chicken, be sure to OPEN the can of beer first. Otherwise your chicken ends up in the neighbour’s tree.

You still have time to get in on the Ottawa Humane Society Golf Tournament, this Thursday at the Pakenham Golf Course. For details, www.ottawahumane.ca. There will be lots of prizes, a great meal, and I guarantee its the only golf tournament attended by golden retreivers. See you there!