Monday, June 13, 2005

Orange grooms and orange popsicles

Thank you to the people who have written to me about their ‘spray-on tan’ stories. Most have a common theme, someone needs a tan fast for some occasion, like a wedding. I especially enjoyed Mike’s story. On the night before his wedding, he sprayed himself up and down and sideways to look good for wedding day. Didn’t bother to read the instructions on the fake tan bottle. Now he has a photo on his mantle that he will always cherish. The wedding party surrounded by orange day lilies. And Mike’s skin is exactly the same color. A nice orange.

On the morning show, somehow we got on the topic of Dickie Dee ice cream vendors. Isn’t this one of the hardest jobs in the world? You have to peddle fudgicles around on the hottest days of the summer, often times up hill all the way, and all you want to do is eat the profits. Our producer Matt Hamer tried it for one day as a summer job then parked the thing in his garage. He ate so many popsicles, he owed the company money at the end of the day.

With summer here, I’m trying my best to eat healthy, especially a lot of fish. The other day I went to a fish vendor. The clerk was super friendly, we talked about the weather, reality television, what its like working around a deep fish smell all day, stuff like that. Finally I said I wanted to try something different, so the fish vendor suggested sea bass. So I said sure, I’ll have two sea bass fillets. When I got to the cash, the total for two sea bass fillets was $38. My jaw dropped. I wanted to put the fish back but I thought I was in too deep. The moral of the story is, if you chat up a fish vendor, then you find out its $38 for two fillets, its your own fault, and you have to keep the fish. If you make no personal connection whatsoever with a fish vendor, you are not committed to keeping the fish. Just an observation you may find useful some day.

I’m no music critic, but I sure love the new Oasis album, ‘Don’t Believe the Truth’. I’m off to Toronto this weekend to see Oasis, and I can’t wait because these guys are amazing in concert. There are a lot of comparisons to the Beatles music, so its kinda ironic that Ringo Starr’s son Zak Starkey is playing drums for Oasis. The last time I saw Oasis at Molson Park, my buddy was working backstage and tried to stop Liam Gallagher from driving madly around the area in a golf cart. The incident ended with Liam driving the golf cart right into a wall. How’s that for rock and roll.

It is my pleasure to MC an upcoming golf tournament for the Canada-Africa Community Health Alliance. This is an organization that delivers much-needed medical supplies to Africa’s poor, and they need your help. Call up your golfing buddies and book off Wednesday June 22nd. Its a full day of golf, an awesome dinner and prizes, at the Kingsway Golf and Country Club just a short drive away in Aylmer. Golf and dinner just $95, dinner only is $40. Call the Kingsway for more info, 827-1855. Hope to see you, I’ll be the one passing out the prizes. Tough job but someone’s gotta do it! It’ll be a great time.