Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Show Us Your Stuff!

June 29, 2005


Thank you to the Certified General Accountants of Ottawa for inviting me to MC the golf tournament for Big Sisters/Big Brothers of Ottawa, although the request for me to tell ‘accountant jokes’ at the dinner is a bit of a challenge. I am not one to remember jokes, but I did check on the internet and lo and behold, there are thousands of accountant jokes! But my personal favourite: why was the accountant so excited that it was Saturday? Because he gets to wear casual clothes to work! Now you can see why I don’t tell jokes.

Friday morning, Glass Tiger lead singer Alan Frew is joining us in the studio on ‘the Morning After Show’ on Bob FM. He’ll not only treat us to some stories about appearing on the hit NBC show, ‘Hit Me Baby One More Time’, he’s also coming with food! Alan’s wife Marcy has created a new line of salad dressings, appropriately called ‘Marcy’s’ dressings. He’s bringing a cooler full for us to try. We’re not used to delicious, healthy food in morning radio. Usually I’m surrounded by people eating microwaved pizza pops or hot dogs at 6 in the morning.

Saturday is ‘Live 8’ day. I for one hope it rains on Saturday, so I don’t feel so guilty watching TV indoors on a beautiful sunny day. JR and I were wondering if the CTV coverage is being hosted by Ben Mulroney. Uh oh. Anyhow, it should be an awesome day, with Live 8 being beamed all over the world, some 1.2 billion people expected. The day of entertainment does send out an important message, so check out the website www.makepovertyhistory.ca to get all the background info you need. And wear your white wrist-band!

Thanks to BOB FM listeners for their concern about my snapping turtle nest. A female laid 24 eggs in my lawn last week, then buried them. To keep the eggs safe from marauding skunks or raccoons, I was told to get my husband to ‘pee’ on the turtle egg nest. I must admit its one of the stranger things I’ve requested of my husband. The eggs are supposed to hatch on September 3rd. So far, none of my friends has stepped in to offer to host a turtle shower for me.

If you don’t have Bruce Springsteen tickets, mark it on your calendar: Sunday morning, July 10th. JR and I will be out in the parking lot of the radio station, here at 87 George Street in the market. Decide what you’d be willing to trade for Springsteen tickets. It could be anything. Signed Springsteen memorabilia, a bike, a high definition TV, your concert ticket stub collection, a lawn mower, wedding gifts you’ve never used, your lava lamp collection, a pressure washer, whatever. You simply exchange your stuff for our tickets. The more creative, the better! This is one of those contests I wish I could enter myself.

Happy Canada Day! See you on Parliament Hill. I’ll be the one wearing red and